Tuesday, November 28, 2006

vignette

The old man sat on his front porch with his eyes closed, a blanket across his lap, the sunshine in his face. He rocked slowly so I knew he wasn’t asleep. “Uhh, excuse me, Mr. Parker?” He slowly opened his eyes and smiled at me.

“Hello, Miss Trixie. How are you this fine day?” His smile was always the nicest smile I ever saw on anyone so old.

“I’m fine, Mr. Parker. Can I ask you a question?”

“Of course you can. I was just enjoying the sunshine and this beautiful day, so I’ve got all the time in the world. What can I help you with?”

Well,” I said nervously, “I wondered if you could use your special talent and see if I’m going to get to go to college.”

“Well, now,” said Mr. Parker. “What’s this about college? Do you want to go to college instead of marrying and settling down here in Woodston? I thought you were sweet on Joey.”

“Oh, it’s a mess,” I sighed. “Joey wants me to stay here so we can get married. He wants to work with his dad down at the garage. But, Mr. Parker, I don’t want to do that. I mean, I really like Joey, but I want to go to college and learn more stuff and see more things. I just can’t stay here with Joey -- it’d drive me out of my mind.” I couldn’t help playing with my rings as I worried about my future.

“Trixie,” he said softly, “Trixie, Trixie. You always have been smarter than the average girl. It doesn’t surprise me a bit that you want to go farther and do more than most of the kids here in Woodston -- this town’s too small for you. What is it you think you want to do?”

“Well, I can cook and sew and all that, but what I'd really like to do is help animals. I think I want to be a veterinarian. I mean, that’s a pretty big thing to wish for, but I think I could do it. I’ve even looked at the schools and there’s one not too far on the other side of Daw City that I could go to.”

He reached out for my hand, then held it in both of his. “Look into my eyes,” he said simply as his grey ones looked into my brown ones. It was so quiet, as if all of nature was waiting for his remarks.

“Miss Trixie,” he said after a bit, as he gently let go of my hand, “you are destined for great things. Let your gentleman friend down as tenderly as you can, as we strive to do no harm to others. He has a big heart but can’t see as far as you can. Some people in town will be against your plan, but hold true to yourself. You have a gift inside you, but you must leave here before it can become yours.”

A huge smile spread across my face as I felt a lightness I’d never felt before. “Thank you, Mr. Parker. You’ve made me so happy. I don’t think I could have stood it if you’d said I was supposed to stay here. I better go now.” I turned and went down his steps, stopping to say “Thanks again” before going out his gate. I took a deep breath, then skipped down the lane and grinned ‘til I thought my face would break. At the corner I turned to wave good-bye, but he must have gone inside. The chair was empty and porch was quiet.

No comments:

Post a Comment