Sunday, April 20, 2008

sit back and relax?

getting older has so many surprises. somewhere around 54 to 56 or so, you start to notice little things ... grey hairs (and not just up on your head), sparse hairs, tiny little wrinkles, you may not quite be able to recall things as quickly, you find yourself losing concentration, your yearly physicals may show evidence of new problems.

it can take a lot of patience to deal with these new things, and it can sometimes lead to mild depression. talking with someone else about this stuff is helpful and might turn up a suggestion or trick which makes things easier.

i am finally, for the first time in my life, (at 60) starting blood pressure medicine. i'm not happy about having to take it, but after 4 years of watching the values not stay down, my doctor sweet-talked me into doing something.

that's better than billy goat gruff at work. his wife (who is about 4 or 6 years older than he) was diagnosed last year with diabetes. she was VERY unhappy about it and cried a lot. i totally understood.

several weeks ago billy found out he has diabetes. his reaction was closer to angry disgust. i totally understood.

they are both watching what they eat now and starting to gradually loose weight. the biggest problem i see with that is that at their ages (he's about 64) any loose skin isn't going to snap back into position. that's a whole 'nuther depression-filled experience.

and like he finally said to me after he was done talking about his diabetes diagnosis, up-coming sleep test, and all his additional medicine, "golden years my ass."

i totally understood.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:46 PM

    I remember reading Erma Bombeck commenting on getting old.
    "It's depressing when you suck in your stomach and nothing moves."
    "I hate it when people tell me my nylons are sagging, and I'm not wearing any."

    Somehow the comments seemed funnier ten years ago

    Pat

    ReplyDelete