Wednesday, August 13, 2008

just yanked that sucker out

well, that was interesting. my dental extraction was this morning. i got there in plenty of time and read while i waited for my 10:45 appt. then they took me back and the assistant talked with me about a couple of things, put some numbing gel in my mouth, and leaned me back a bit.

the doctor came in and said hello, looked in my mouth, then took the syringe in hand. remember in the old days when the doctors would shoot you full of novocaine, how it used to hurt when they'd give you the shot? this was like that. (it was septocaine, i think) the shot on the outside of my tooth caused me to flinch *owwie*, then he reached in to the inside side and gave me that *goddamnsonofa* shot and then he was done. it was pretty quick but yuck! the inside shot was no fun.

then he took his dental tool, grasped my tooth, gently wrestled it around a little, and voila! it was out! took about 90 seconds! apparently the tooth was being rejected by my body which helped it come out. i couldn't believe it had come out in one piece, but he got all of it and didn't even need to place any stitches. he left for other adventure, the assistant gave me the speel about not swishing/spitting/drinking with straws, gave me a handful of gauze, and sent me on my way. i was driving home by 11:30.

yes, i'm glad it was easy. no, i didn't like the shots. yes, i'm glad the trouble-making tooth is gone. no, i don't like having a tooth gone. yes, i know that life isn't fair.

honestly, bits and pieces of me are just disappearing into the past.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:21 PM

    So is there just going to be a vacancy there now? Won't the teeth shift a bit?

    I was recently flossing underneath that permanent retainer at the front of my mouth and noticed that apparently some of the glue has eroded off of one of the teeth. Luckily it happened before my 6-month trip to the hygienist, so I had her look at it and she didn't actually SAY it'd come off but she said the regular dentist could take care of it (instead of an orthodontist).

    Anyway, the point is that when I moved here, I asked the dentist about the possibility of removing the whole thing, since it's such a pain to floss--it takes at least as much time to floss it (using a threader) than the rest of my teeth together! She said, sure man, it's a free country, but that my teeth would probably begin moving around if I did. So initially I was worried that this unglued tooth was about to go "Freedom!" and hightail it for the side of my mouth, but it hasn't tried any funny stuff yet. Thinking back, it seems like how it feels now is how it's felt for a while, so I'm not too worried about it shifting before I can get it glued back in line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:22 PM

    D'oh! I asked this question already and totally forgot!

    Stress: makes you...uh...something something, I forget.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the dentist said if the teeth shifted it would take awhile, i think she meant as in several years. at any rate, she said with me using this night guard, that would effectively keep things under control.

    i encourage you to keep that little retainer in the front of your mouth. i always thought getting braces made you set for life, but no -- things try to move back the way they were. shitskees! and i know it's a pain to use that threader, but good for you for doing it!! i always floss and i'm positive it helps keep bad breath down/away better than brushing. so yes -- get it re-glued when you can. :)

    ReplyDelete