Saturday, November 01, 2008

leave me alone

my co-worker's death made me start thinking.

the government makes such a huge deal about seat belts. before it was mandatory, i ALWAYS fastened my seat belt. it was simply a good idea. then they made it mandatory, and the seat belts had to be just so, and had to be tight, and had to be retractable, and so on ad nauseum.

i don't like having my seat belt tight across my chest, so i have to trap it with a large binder clip. and sometimes you get it part-way out and then it locks and you have to mess with it before it's in place. and if you don't wear it, an alarm goes off until you put it on. good grief! what a frickin' hassle!!!

my real point is: so, excuse me, but why is it so important to have us wear seat belts so we won't get thrown out of the window, but it's okay for people to ride motorcycles when it's a damn given they are going to be thrown somewhere in ANY accident. wearing seat belts wouldn't help them, of course. but if it's okay for people to ride motorcycles, i think it should be okay to not have to wear my seat belt. which means, in reality, that i would wear my seat belt but would want car manufacturers to get rid of the alarm, and go back to seat belts that don't constrict.

i mean, gees. little irritations that people don't have control over can really get under your skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment