Thursday, July 28, 2011

pulling back the shades

there are people who have scars, and people who don't. this website shows a series of pictures of young women who have had breast cancer. some of the pictures are interesting, some are strange. i think at least one of them showed reconstructed breasts with formed nipples and tattooed areolas. one of the pictures looked a lot like my own scars.

it was good for me to see the pictures because i've always felt like i was the only one who did not have reconstruction or implants. i feel like my decision not to was medically sound, but i've always missed my former look. not that i was bountious, but at least i was comfortably female. i'm still female, but i'm not sure i'll ever be comfortable with the changed me. and yes, it's been 19 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment