Saturday, November 18, 2006

dream 1

It was a dress rehearsal. I wore a soft buttery-yellow, floor-length dress with a ruffled v-neck and fitted waist. We had gone next door to the auditorium and were rushing around getting to the right area. I sat with my group and said my part, “This is a long bobbin upon which you can hold the rings for your curtains.” I suddenly realized we were ‘going on’ in a number of minutes and I didn’t have my change of clothes -- they were next door in my school room -- I needed to run and get them immediately.

I left the group, exited the building, and hurried to the school. All the doors were locked except the far ones and as I went into the hallway, I saw poster after poster lining the passage with students industriously working on yet more. Why were they doing this since the performance would be starting soon? No one would see the posters, would they? I quickly went down the hall to my area, burst through a doorway blocked by yet another poster, frowned my apologies, and headed for my things.

I realized I was wearing the wrong earrings, switched them, stashed the right ones in my pocket, realized i had on the wrong shoes, corrected that, grabbed the right ones and my black evening gown, and headed back to the auditorium.

I rejoined my group and it occurred to me that I had missed so much instruction I wouldn’t know when to say my lines. A woman seated at a table spoke with me briefly about it saying, sotto voce, that a spotlight would wander and randomly shine on us, and that was our cue.

Fast-forward to after our old-time performance, when we quickly changed clothes and re-grouped to present our vocal performance. I looked lovely in a slim, black, sequined sheath with my jet-black jeweled earrings and black strappy heels.


Then I awoke.

No comments:

Post a Comment