Thursday, May 10, 2007

vignette ~ Harborville

“Hey Jed, I think I’m gonna have to call it a night. We just cain’t see nothin even with that there sky fulla stars.”

“Well, dangit, Punk. Since we left that there tree line, we don’t even have no trees to tie up the horses and that ole’ mule would justa soon wander off as stay put. This has been one long day of ridin’ but I thought sure we woulda reached Harborville by now.”

“Cain’t help it none -- that there farmer musta give us bad directions, but I cain’t go on furever and Slocum here is gonna drop and mash my legs if I don’t get off him purty dang quick.” With that Punk reined up, slid off the horse, stretched his arms, and worked the kinks out of his back. “This shore is soft ground we got -- ain’t nuthin like that good ole’ hard Oklahoma dirt. Fact is it’s kinda like mud, but without the mess. It’s gonna make a nice soft bed, but I wonder whut it is?”

Jed finally stopped, cranked his neck from one side to the other and mumbled, “Dad gummit.” He swung his leg over his saddle, but nearly fell when he stepped down. “Dangit! That there ground is soft as quicksand. Whut in tarnation? Don’t got no grass, no weeds, no nothin that I can feel except it’s a little damp.”

“I don’t know, but I’m too tired to care. Whut with sleepin in bear country, sleepin in cougar country, sleepin on rocks, and sleepin with bugs, I don’t think I’m gonna be much bothered about some kinda soft sand. Let’s git that ole’ tarp out and bed down on it. That way our clothes’ll stay dry.”

So they put their saddles on the tarp then tethered the horses and mule to the saddle horns. Their late supper of cold beans and hardtack wasn’t all that great, but it was filling and they both really were tired. It had turned a little chilly, so the men bedded down with their blankets and said good night.


Thanks heavens they were pretty light sleepers, because two hours later the tide turned and started coming back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment