Saturday, November 10, 2007

vignette ~ What's Going On?

Everyday when Janet got off work, she drove out of the parking lot and past a little white house with a nicely-kept yard. It was always so neatly trimmed and pleasant-looking that it made her happy no matter how strained her day had been.

This evening she had worked late and, since it was Friday and she didn’t have to hurry home to do chores, she took her time walking to her car and getting it out of the lot. The little old lady who lived in the white house was outside sweeping her sidewalk and, on a spur-of-the-moment impulse, Janet pulled over to the curb and got out.

“Hi,” she said walking up to the wizened, grizzled woman, “I work across the street and I just have to tell you how much I love your home and yard.”

The old lady’s face split into a huge grin and she bobbed her head and said, “Thank you.”

Janet went on, “Everything is so nicely trimmed and cleaned up that it completely cheers me up, even after I have a really bad day. Like yesterday, for example, it was the worst day I’ve had in a couple of weeks, but when I got off work I made sure to look at your place. It was very soothing, but then when I saw the fire in your fireplace through the window, it made me smile and all the day’s irritations just went away.”

The old woman cackled an old-woman laugh and said, “Well, that’s a nice thought, dearie, but I don’t have no fireplace.” Janet looked at her with puzzled eyes and the old lady turned, pointed to her full-glass front door and said, “Look for yourself. I don’t know what you saw, but it weren’t no fireplace.”

Janet was seeing the cozy corner where the fire had been pleasantly flaring yesterday and where a rocking chair sat today. “Wha ... ?” She finally closed her mouth, shook her head, and mumbled, “I must be working too hard.” Remembering her manners she said, “Well, whatever it was I saw, I still love your home and yard and I just wanted to tell you.”

“You’re a nice girl to say those things, thank you kindly now.” The woman grinned and continued, “You just look at it all you want,” and she went back to her sweeping. Janet went back to her car, got in, and headed for home.

“What in the hell did I see yesterday I wonder. I know damn-good-and-well there was a fireplace in that corner,” she softly muttered. After driving another three blocks she muttered some more, “That just doesn’t make any sense.” By the time she got home she had decided to have left-overs for supper and then take a long bubble-bath. Maybe relaxing would help her figure out what she’d seen.

The phone chimed as she was sticking a plate of food in the microwave and she answered it on the second ring. “Janet,” said Polly, her best friend of 25 years, “you’ll never guess what. Joe got the supervisor job he bid on!” Polly was so happy, Janet could just see her doing her happy-dance steps.

“I know. You told me yesterday and you still sound excited about it. Are you guys going to celebrate?”

“What do you mean I told you yesterday?” Polly sounded puzzled. “I only found out ten minutes ago when Joe called me from work. His boss didn’t get back from the conference until after midnight last night.”


“No, you told me yesterday when you called to get my applesauce cookie recipe. You wanted to make them special for Joe.”

“Janet I didn’t call you yesterday. It was my sister’s last day in town and we had some shopping to do before she packed. Then I took her to the airport, came home, and ironed shirts until I went to bed. We didn’t talk. What’s going on?”

“Polly, we talked and I can prove it. Joe’s new job will give him $57,000 a year. That’s what you said. And I remember that figure because Joe turned 57 last month.”

“Look. This doesn’t make any sense. Joe only just now called me, right from his boss’ office, and he didn’t tell me how much he’d be making so I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Janet felt a cold chill go down her back and decided she needed some down-time. “Listen, Polly, I’ve got to go but I’ll get back to you tomorrow. Don’t mention our conversation to Joe; just have a good time tonight and celebrate. He’s worked hard a lot of years. And tell him I’m happy for him.”

They hung up and Janet got her warmed-up plate. “What-in-the-hell is going on,” she muttered. Armed with chicken and peas, she walked past her glass of water and grabbed a beer on her way out to the back porch. She knew it would be chilly outside before too long, but she loved sitting out back. When Charlie had died two years ago it was the only place she could go and feel safe and close to him. The bedroom made her cry. The kitchen made her cry. The living room made her cry. The back porch was the only place she had some peace, and she had spent a lot of time out there.

So she ate her supper and rocked in her chair, trying to relax. Charlie had taught her that if she had a big problem sometimes the best way to handle it was to turn to something else, let the problem sit, and go back to it later. Then, more often than not, the solution was there waiting.

She missed him. He had been the other part of her. Always helping her with things, giving her new ideas, solving problems. He’d be able to figure out what was going on right now. This was just so strange and she really didn’t want to think it might be her mind giving out. After all, she was only 54.

No, something was off and Charlie would have been able to figure it out. Her mind wandered through her thoughts as she absently looked around the back yard. It was nicely private with a one-car detached garage and a chain-link fence which ran around the perimeter. You couldn’t see the fence since the bushes had intractably interwoven through the links, but that was okay with her since she didn’t do more than say ‘Hi’ to her neighbors.

She jerked her head up as it suddenly occurred to her that there had been a number of unexplained episodes since Charlie’s death. Her favorite angora sweater had gone missing and never turned up. She found an unopened packet of her favorite incense under the bathroom sink when she knew she had used the last stick. She couldn’t find her favorite pair of earrings. Something weird was going on and it didn’t make a bit of sense.

She shivered, realized the sun was setting on a beautiful pink sky, and decided it was chilly enough she should be getting inside. She gave a big sigh and rose, plate in hand, turning to the back door.


“Janet,” said Charlie standing on the edge of the driveway with his hands in his coat pockets. She froze then screamed, dropped the plate, and reached for the back door. “Janet, wait,” he said but she screamed again -- a very panicked, frightened scream which stayed with her all the way to the floor and under the blanket in the back of the bedroom closet.

No comments:

Post a Comment